FAD Blog: Hip Hop Tricks - The Helicopter!
Wed, 29 Jun 2016
This week’s FAD Blog is for all our Hip Hop students! In most of your Hip Hop classes, there are various tricks that can be performed and today we’re going to be looking at the Hip Hop trick “The Helicopter!”
Below is a step by step outline on the correct way to perform a Helicopter:
- Start sitting on the floor with both hands and feet on the ground. Lift your hips up to the roof and take one hand upwards across your body, being sure to take your body weight evenly through your other hand and your feet.
- Slowly take the hand that is across your body back over your body in a windmill motion.
- You should then drive off your supporting hand, windmilling it over your body as well
- Once both hands are in contact with the ground and your upper body has a slight twist to it, you should then drive both feet off the ground aiming to untwist your body.
- Your legs should stay bent, and both feet should land back on the floor at the same time.
A few points to remember when performing the Helicopter:
- Your hips need to start pushed up to the roof, and finish in the same position.
- Make sure you are squeezing your bottom together to help control your hips.
- Be sure to engage your core/stomach muscles to help control both the twist and the landing.
- Once you are confident with the skill, try performing it in one fluid motion.
Below you can see a video of the Helicopter!
Keep practising this Hip Hop skill and you’ll be sure to impress your instructor at your next Hip Hop Class!
- FAD Step\'s Up and Dances with Timomatic
- FAD Bear Winners!
- FAD On Totally Wild
- FAD Inter Studio Newsletter
- FAD October School Holiday Cheer Clinic